Saturday, December 29, 2012

Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup

There are tons of baked potato soups out there, and I never could decide on which recipe to make.  I must have sifted through about 30 before coming up with my own.  I knew I wanted easy (slow cooker!) and I knew I didn't want a ton of dairy.  Behold: the baked potato soup recipe that doesn't make you feel guilty for enjoying it.



Ingredients:
  • 6 large potatoes, peeled & diced (yukon golds are my favorite)
  • 1 small chopped sweet white onion or yellow onion
  • 32oz low sodium chicken broth
  • 2 minced garlic cloves
  • 1/4c unsalted butter
  • salt, pepper, italian seasoning and a pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1c light cream of half & half
  • 1c shredded cheese (sharp cheddar or mexican blend are the way to go here)
  • 1/4c diced green onion
  • optional garnish: chopped bacon, additional green onion 
  1. In your crock pot, add the potatoes, onion, broth, garlic, butter and seasoning.  Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
  2. Uncover and mash the potatoes slightly.
  3. Stir in the cream, cheese and green onion.
  4. Cover and cook for another 10-20 minutes.  You want the cheese to melt nicely.
  5. Stir and serve with bacon and additional green onion on top.
This is perfect for a weeknight or weekend dinner, on its own or with a sandwich or salad alongside.

No comments:

Post a Comment